Thursday, January 5, 2012

Do you understand what I'm saying?

Another horrible tragedy that probably could have been easily prevented. A family was traveling home from a Christmas Eve party and their car was struck head on by an SUV who crossed the median. Mom and Dad were severely injured. 3 year old boy suffered minor injuries. 18 month old boy died the next day (Christmas) from a broken neck. He was forward facing in his child restraint. My heart hurts for this mother. I cannot imagine the crushing pain of losing your child. Your baby. I've been crying all morning for her. I've also been crying because I know had he been rear facing, he probably would have walked away from the accident. This is why I preach. This is why I try to make you understand that a small inconvienence can be so worth it. This is why I dedicate my time and services to help parents who want to do it right. Parents who want to keep their kids safe. Accidents happen. And you never know if its going to be you or not. So do what the boy scouts say, and Be Prepared!
This chart below gives an easy visual of the statistical benefits of rear facing. Lets say you know you're going to be in an accident on a particular day. What odds do you want to give your child to offer them the best chance at life and avoiding serious injury? Problem is, you don't know. And it could be any day that you get in the car. Yeah, I'm going to go for the 96% injury reducing rate.

4 comments:

joolee said...

oh how sad. cora's exactly that age - she's the first one of my kids that i've kept rear-facing after 1 yr. old and it's just as easy getting her in/out as it would be the other way. should have done that with celia + madsen too. i'm grateful for your preaching!

Carolyn Johnson said...

That is so sad. I'm grateful that you will teach this to all of your sister in laws, so my grandchildren will be safer.

Krystal said...

Yep, you had my convinced with Chloe and I am still doing it with Sophie who is 18 months and doesn't mind one bit! it is not an inconvenience at all and I travel a little more at peace. Thanks-love you!

Janae Wallace said...

Haha Gabby is almost 2 and she's still rear facing...she's only 22 pounds! She doesn't know any other way, so it doesn't bother her at all! People need to stop assuming the kid will like it better one way or the other. What's more important? Safety or your toddler's opinion?? I'm so upset for that cute little boy :(