Monday, March 9, 2009

Locked Out

Boy, we really aren't starting the week off right in this house. I've been trying to play catch up on all the housework that needs to be done (and not succeeding) when a friend came over. I was on the front porch chatting when Gambit closed the front door and somehow locked it. I didn't even know he could do that! Eeek. I called my mom because she has a spare key and she left right away, but she lives about 15 minutes away and I was worried about Gambit in the house alone. I mean really, this kid is walking trouble sometimes (but oh so cute and wonderful). So I sit next to the front door and try to coax Gambit into opening it. This is how the conversation went.

Me: Gambit, can you unlock the door? Turn the little button.

Gambit: Um....You do it Mommy.

Me: Mommy can't do it, can you reach and turn the button?

Gambit: No. You Mommy.

(pitter patter of little feet running away from the door)

Me: GAMBIT! Get back over here so Mommy knows where you are.

To further add to the humiliation of being bested by my 2-year-old. I think every single one of my neighbor's either came home or drove by and saw me sitting on my porch yelling at my kid through the front door. Not my proudest moment. But, my parents eventually got there (and probably very timely though it felt like forever) and I was quickly back in. Gambit was sitting in the hallway quietly playing with his dinosaurs. He gave me the funniest look like, "Where have you guys been?"

And now you know why I can only handle two kids!

3 comments:

bevany said...

I LOVE that this post came right after your one about another baby. So funny. We've all been through stuff like this. Good thing your parents had an extra key!

Heather said...

That was really funny! The kids love playing with the lock that's on the front door and it's hard to tell if it's locked unless you check it from the outside. I learned this the hard way after being locked outside with the kids several times. Now I always check to see if it's locked before I close the door on my way out. I feel your pain. However, I did have the kids with my when I was locked outside. I eventually had to climb the fence to get into the back yard and go in through the back door.

Doug and Megan said...

This is funny! Maybe not to you, but to me, because I can just picture how you were handling it. I would have loved to have seen that! About your other post, I strongly believe that if you're supposed to have more children, Heavenly Father will let you know. To cure your baby hunger, come over and hold mine anytime you want. I'm sure #4 might put me over the edge!